Twice a year the PEN International Writers In Prison Committee produces a caselist of individuals around the world who are detained or otherwise persecuted for their peaceful political activities or for the practice of their profession. Over the whole year in 2012, the Committee monitored over 870 attacks.
The latest edition of the six monthly caselist detailing over 870 cases of attacks on writers, journalists, poets, publishers and editors is now available via PEN Internationals website.
During 2012 PEN International Writers In Prison Committee recorded
* 14 writers and journalists killed clearly in relation to their professions
* Another 31 murdered where the circumstances are not clear
* 157 writers are serving long prison terms for their writings in countries including China, Vietnam, Turkey, Eritrea and Uzbekistan
* Another 133 are detained whose cases are under investigation by PEN
* Around 10% of the long term prisoners were freed before the end of their sentences.
* 170 are on trial without being imprisoned
* Other abuses include death threats, imprisonment for short periods and harassment.